5 November 2010

Abbreviations.

Don't you just hate it when people ends a conversatiom with an ''LOL'' genuis.


I just hates people who uses an ''LOL'' to ends a conversation, that is all. Earlier on, I was browsing the net and I found this, finally a someone truly hates abbreviations. I personally don't mind it, but it can be annoying sometime.


'My friend’s father says that people who use a lot of swear words only do so because they have a limited vocabulary (a comment that has prompted my current attempt to stop swearing).




I feel the same way about abbreviations.



''I can’t abide an LOL, a j/k, or, especially, a ROFL LMAO when there are so many beautiful words you can use! I was thrilled by the advent of QWERTY keyboard mobile phones, since it meant I no longer had to slowly type out every word in my stubbornness. And hurrah for the iPhone, which lets me go on and on using words like “abhorrent” and “incubator” (okay, I’ve never texted the word incubator, but I like knowing that I could).



The same goes for Twitter. Those 140 characters present a challenge to get a message across as succinctly as possible. And it is possible. An entire day can be summed up by saying “The cheeseburger I had for dinner makes up for the fact that I drove into a pond this morning. Sort of.” It’s compelling, it’s amusing, it’s thought-provoking.



Compare that to this: I drv my car in2 a pond ths mrning, now have 2 pay 3k 2 fix, total #fail LOL. But hving awesome cheezburger now @TGIFridays w/pickles #ftw



I don’t even want to try to read it. It makes my eyes sad.'' - I LOVE THIS.


So do abbreviations save time and space or are they just irritating?
DISCUSS.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that.. I think it does help to save space and time but only where necessary- like in twitter if you run out of space left, and is useful in this internet world of high-speed and information overload. That aside, I reckon it's essential to use english properly for many reasons- improves your own english, improves the person's who reads it, and keeps the english language alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true billy!

    people said LOL when they have nothing else to say..

    LOL :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete